Monday, March 12, 2012

Our 32 Week Ultrasound at 33 Weeks and 1 day

Today I went to our 32 week ultrasound (which was actually a week late due to scheduling availability- lots of other twin+ Mama's out there I guess...) so it's been 5 weeks since my last ultrasound.  

Although I was very disappointed to learn that both of our babies have decided to be in breech positions at this point (I'm still holding out hope they might flip so I can avoid the dreaded c-section they keep talking about)...

 ...I was THRILLED to hear that each of our babies have each gained 2 full pounds in the last five weeks, and are still growing at the rate of singleton babies. AMAZING!  If they keep up this progress and stay put for another month we may have twin babies that each weigh 6 pounds... 

We do have names picked out, but we aren't telling everyone until they are born...

So Baby 1 (boy) weighed in at 4 pounds 11 ounces, and Baby 2 (girl) weighed in at 4 pounds 5 ounces right on track with their April 29th due date.

I'm in this for the long haul but let me tell you that growing these two little stinkers is not an easy task- right now at 33 weeks pregnant I am carrying what would be equivalent to a 9 pound singleton baby... still with 6 weeks and 6 days left to go... that's not taking into consideration the extra placenta and blood and all that other gooey gooey grossness ;)  Listen to me trying to justify my 32 pound weight gain... 

This isn't the most flattering picture... but this is the official double baby bump, not pictured is my belly button which is finally starting to make its outward journey...



So my feet are swollen, my hands occasionally turn into balloons for short periods of time, I can't put socks or shoes on myself, I have to roll myself out of bed in the middle of the night to pee an average of 4-5 times a night, I am super uncomfortable ALL the time, and I have no problem laying in bed/ sleeping until mid-afternoon whenever possible (Thankfully Luke has been bringing me breakfast and lunch in bed as needed) because I am exhausted... but I'm happy as a clam and SO excited to meet our babies!

I finally decided to cut down on my work schedule and I am now down to working about 25 hours a week... Last week Monday I was at work and having really strong contractions all morning and ended up going into labor and delivery triage thinking I was actually in labor- (which was REALLY scary at 8 weeks early)... turns out I was dehydrated and needed to rest... so since last week Monday I have been working less resting as much as possible and drinking fluids to get rehydrated and hopefully stay that way.  I'm still having contractions here and there but nothing like last Monday.  

STAY PUT BABIES YOU CAN'T COME OUT YET!

So, as you can see in the first picture below our babies won't be entering the world without hair on their heads... at least a tiny little bit of fuzz ;) maybe more...



Originally I was going to leave the ultrasound appointment with one photograph...The babies were both facing the wrong direction and not cooperating with their "photo session".  I'm not going to post the original picture because it's not very clear, but I can tell you that it is a picture of the tops of two baby heads with a foot squished in between them- I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who is uncomfortable with this situation and ready for a new beginning.

So after the technician collected all of the information and pictures that she needed she left the room to consult with the doctor observing the ultrasound video from the other room and while she was gone I felt a lot of movement happening in my big ol' belly, so when she returned I asked if she would be willing to take one more peak and see if anything changed... sure enough the babies shifted a bit and we were able to get a slight 4D look at each of their faces.

How neat are these???


This is Baby 2 (Girl) with a hand and possibly a foot next to her face.

This is Baby 2 (Boy) with a hand in front of his nose and mouth

So we didn't get a lot of pictures, but good things come to those who wait (I'm a firm believer) and we will get to meet our babies in a few weeks and get to actually see what they really look like- I'm SO excited!

My next ultrasound appointment is in 4 more weeks, and if we make it that far (keep your fingers crossed that the babies stay put) we will find out if they are still both breech and if I have to have surgery to meet them... 

I've been reading about flipping breech babies... so if you happen to run into me at a swimming pool standing on my head underwater or lying head down on the slide in our backyard... it's because I'm trying to get them to flip into a head down position so I have the opportunity to experience childbirth as God intended.  Let's hope I can, even if it hurts really bad.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment